Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cooled down it has...

Haven't been able to get out much with all of the rain we have been getting here. This year is already the wettest on record for Cincinnati, Ohio, and all the local bodies of water are above their banks. Cool down it did, as last night that rain had changed to the season's first snowfall. It was only a dusting and melted before the sun even came up here.

I was able to get out and look for Saw-whet Owls on Thanksgiving Day at a relative's property. I wasn't able to find any saw-whets, but I did find this Eastern Screech-owl right before sunset.

Eastern Screech-owl


The low pressure that had brought all the rain and snow had moved out by morning, so I headed down to East Fork to see what had come in. I noticed an increase in waterfowl and grebes. I was lucky enough to catch some Horned Grebes fishing in front of me. I hid behind a tree as the birds swam closer. I watched them for a while.

Horned Grebes

They seemed curious of me, and swam up to me. Love their red eyes!

Horned Grebe

Horned Grebe

Horned Grebe

As the sun set today, I heard and then saw Sandhill Cranes flying over. All the while, Common Loons were giving their soul soothing call. A nice end to the day.


*****************


6 comments:

  1. I am still waiting to see my first loon. What's taking so long I wonder? Nice job spotting the Screech owl. The grebes are cool, I love watching them fish too. Cheers Don!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good birds Donald!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful bird... many thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that owl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Owl shot..& red eyes of the Grebe! Cool post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey its all day time pics or night?

    ReplyDelete