Monday, November 01, 2010

A quiet afternoon stroll in the woods

Took a nice, quiet walk in the woods this afternoon to enjoy the last of this gorgeous fall weather. There wasn't much going on bird wise, as the woods were kind of still. I went by a brushy area near a pond and started spishing and was able to get the birds out of hiding. A lot of Yellow-rumpeds and sparrows. White-throated and a Swamp. Then I noticed a Fox Sparrow, the first of the season for me. I continued spishing and ended up with three Fox Sparrows in view at the same time! Unfortunately, they were too far in the brush and combined with the afternoon sun, I wasn't able to get any pics of them.

My spishing also got the Barred Owls railed up. The deer also came in to investigate what all the commotion was about.

PB010538


I then came up to a small pond and found this dragonfly flying around. This is an Autumn Meadowhawk, the most likely dragonfly species one would expect to see flying around at this time of year (hence its name).


Autumn Meadowhawk
Autumn Meadowhawk


Continuing on to the woods, I came across this five point buck (or ten point) that must had just gotten into a fight prior to my spotting him. One side of his rack has been broken off. He must had won the fight, as he was with five does. His tongue was hanging out of the side of his mouth. He did not look happy to see me there.

PB010552

No comments:

Post a Comment