Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jefferson Salamander?

The other day, my nephews somehow came across this salamander, not sure where they got it from. It appeared to be cold and was very slow moving. I originally identified it as a Jefferson Salamander because they said it was found in the leaf litter. I haven't seen a salamander around my house in years!

Jefferson Salamander?

Jefferson Salamander?
Ambystoma spp.

However, after doing some research, I have discovered that the Ambystoma spp. complex is very genetically complicated. This cool link explains the weird genetics going on with this genus. It is worth checking out! -- http://www.ohioamphibians.com/salamanders/Unisexual_Ambystoma.html

***Update: This is a Small mouth Salamander. or mostly Small mouth.

1 comment:

  1. That's a cutie! Can't help with the ID though.. Good luck! Always count on a kid to find a salamander anywhere!

    ReplyDelete