Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Spring surprise!

Well the hotter than normal weather has now become the cooler than normal weather.  Temperatures of 85° in the daytime will now be replaced by 60° high temps.  The cold front that had brought this change brought some nice storms.  I know by experience that after such a storm is a good time to check the beach at East Fork State Park for fallout shorebirds and other waterbirds.  I had Spotted, Least, Semipalmated Sandpipers, and Semipalmated Plovers with Killdeer.  But I wasn't expecting to see this:

Franklin's Gull

Franklin's Gull

A 1st summer Franklin's Gull.

I thought when I first saw it that it might be a Laughing Gull, but the white spots on the primaries proved otherwise.  It was flying around the parking lot area, landing and taking off again.

Franklin's Gull


Franklin's Gull


Franklin's Gull

The bird was very skittish and was always moving around.  Always remember to bird the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment