Monday, June 11, 2012

A dragonfly, butterfly, and of course birds

I haven't been able to get out much due to work and other commitments.  I usually get off work at around the noon hour, so I don't have mornings much.  That being said, I still must get out in the out of doors!  It is the only true way that I can relax.

Now that the trees are in full leaf out and migration is winding down, birds are starting to get harder to see (especially warblers!).  I was however lucky to spot a Louisiana Waterthrush along a stream on a walk in the deep woods of East Fork.  I often hear them, but don't get to see them.

Louisiana Waterthrush

Another bird that I hardly EVER see and only hear is the Yellow-breasted Chat.  I was surprised to be able to briefly catch a glimpse of one while driving around in Indian Creek Wildlife Area in Brown, Co. Ohio.


Such a nice looking bird.  This one was singing a full song.  The chat makes some cool mechanical sounds.  One minute it would sound like a cat and the other an android bird.  In my opinion, this bird is no warbler!

With the warmer than usual weather and local events at the East Fork Beach, I haven't been able to look for much in the shorebird department.  There has been some "good" shorebirds seen at places that are private and on the side of a road, but that is not my kind of birding.  

Cool and gloomy days are my best days for finding shorebirds at the beach at East Fork.  Hasn't been much in the way of diversity this spring.  I was able to find some of the more common shorebirds.

The Least Sandpipers are fairly tame.  I have stood still and had one walk between my legs before.  Here is one I found preening in the rain.

Least Sandpiper

When the rain stopped, I was able to get the blur out of the picture.  Nice looking bird in breeding plumage.

Least Sandpiper 

So tiny they are when seen up close.

Shorebirds always give me the stare down!

Least Sandpiper


There were also some Semipalmated Sandpipers on down the beach.  They are a lot more skittish then the leasts.

Semipalmated Sandpiper


Again, another stare down.

Semipalmated Sandpiper

I have been out looking for field birds such as Dickcissels and other not so common allies.  Dickcissels have never been reported from these places, but they are closer to me, so only makes since to check them.  Nothing "too" exciting on the field bird level.  Lots of Eastern Meadowlarks however.  Always love to see and hear them.

Eastern Meadowlark

A Red-tailed Hawk was screaming up above, and then flew right over my head.  I think it must have been nesting close by.  The sound of a red tail always makes me feel free, love it.

Red-tailed Hawk


This past Saturday was the East Fork Butterfly Count.  This is my second year for participating (only in it's second year).  I had a wonderful time.  It was very slow butterfly wise.  The only shot of a butterfly I was able to get was this beautiful Zebra Swallowtail, my favorite of the swallowtails.

Zebra Swallowtail

I was also able to see a lifer dragonfly, a Spangled Skimmer (female). 

Spangled Skimmer (female)

Fall migration is right around the corner.  I need to get outside more.  Hope everyone is  able to find some time to go out and enjoy the beauty of the nature around them. 

*****************

3 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Donald.

    Yellow-breasted Chats are exceptionally handsome birds. I never get to see them either, so I appreciate the nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:51 PM

    Nice group of photos. I love the Meadowlark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely post - its great when you can get to see a few differing habitats (and species) on a day out. A few birds I recognise there.... especially the Meadowlark

    Dave

    ReplyDelete