Sunday, July 26, 2009

Fledgling Cedar Waxwings

My niece and nephews alerted me to a baby bird in the middle of the the gravel drive beside my house today. When I went over to investigate, one fledgling flew up into the trees, but I couldn't tell what it was. They said that there was another bird still in the middle of the drive, so I looked closer and found this:

A baby cedar waxwing!


This is the first time I have ever seen a fledgling cedar waxwing. Since people fly up and down this drive, I decided to try to coax it back into the trees. I knew it wasn't abandoned because I could hear an adult waxwing giving its "high zeet" alarm call.



This one took a little more coaxing to fly than its sibling, so I picked it up and it flew out of my hand and into the trees. An adult bird was still alarming me, a good sign. Since almost all birds can't smell, there is no need to worry about the parents smelling me - it is an old wives' tale.

A good ending and a definitely confirmed OBBA II entry! (although I already had them confirmed with nest building.)

7 comments:

  1. Sorry...I am starting over..LOL..
    Thanks for helping with my issues at Facebook..still dont know what is causing it..but sometimes it works..

    I have never seen fledged cedars..nice shots..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! I've never seen a baby Cedar Waxwing either. He already seems to have the little yellow waxy-looking tips on the tail. Good thing your niece and nephews were paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:52 AM

    What a face! This has got to be the cutest thing ever. I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking the time to view my blog and become a follower of it. I enjoyed your blog as well. Wish I could hold a Red-Shouldered as in your photos. I have only held the young ones after they have fallen from their nests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. dumpsters Cedar Park

    ReplyDelete
  6. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. Leander tx roll-off dumpsters

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. dumpster rentals Leander
    We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. dumpster rentals Leander

    ReplyDelete